The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 204 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances: the Diamond Princess cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan, and the Holland America’s MS Zaandam cruise ship. The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.[covid19-map label_confirmed=”Confirmed” label_deaths=”Deaths”]
- Dr. Li Wenliang, the doctor who was first to spot the virus and tried to warn about the virus has died on Friday February 7, 2020. He died after contracting the virus while treating patients in Wuhan. His death has sparked widespread public anger and grief in China.
- On February 2, doctors in Thailand said they discovered medical treatment that cured a patient of coronavirus ‘in 48 Hours’
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Incubation Period: The incubation period (time from exposure to the development of symptoms) of the virus is estimated to be between 2 and 14 days
- 2-14 days represents the estimated range at the moment for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Period can vary greatly among patients
- Mean incubation period observed in a study: 5.2 days
- Mean incubation period in travelers from Wuhan and countries with severe cases: 6.4 days (range from 2.1 to 11.1 days)
- On January 30, the novel coronavirus total case count surpassed that for SARS (which affected 8,096 people worldwide).
- On January 30, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency.
- On January 30 CDC confirmed the first US case of human to human transmission
- Germany, Japan, Vietnam and the United States have reported cases in patients who didn’t personally visit China, but contracted the virus from someone else who had visited Wuhan, China. These cases of human to human transmission are the most worrisome, according to the WHO.
- Wuhan (the city where the virus originated) is the largest city in Central China, with a population of over 11 million people. The city, on January 23, shut down transport links. Following Wuhan lock down, the city of Huanggang was also placed in quarantine, and the city of Ezhou closed its train stations. This means than 18 million people have been placed in isolation. The World Health Organization (WHO) said cutting off a city as large as Wuhan is “unprecedented in public health history.”and praised China for its incredible commitment to isolate the virus and minimize the spread to other countries.
Global cases, deaths and recoveries[covid19-table searching=”true” showing=”10″ label_confirmed=”Confirmed” label_deaths=”Deaths” label_recovered=”Recovered”]
- Click to read all about coronavirus cases in March →
- Click to read all about coronavirus cases in February →
— #AFCON2021 Netbuzz Africa (@netbuzzafrica) January 30, 2020