The Circuit Court in Accra has on Tuesday (9 November) ordered the police to release a mobile phone belonging to dancehall artiste, Charles Nii Amarh Mensah, popularly known as Shatta Wale, to him.
Judge Emmanuel Marvin Essandoh also ordered the police to release the mobile phones of three other persons – Kojo Owusu Koranteng, Shatta’s personal assistant, Eric Vanetor, a graphic designer and Iddrisu Yussif, a beautician – to them.
The police seized their mobile phones to assist in investigations. The phones were released upon the request of their lawyer, Jerry Avenorgbor, who argued it amounted to a breach of their fundamental human rights.
The case has been adjourned to 7 December 2021.
Shatta Wale is on self-recognisance bail after spending a week in police custody over false publication. He has pleaded not guilty for the publication of false news and causing fear and panic when he first appeared in court last week.
The other three were also charged with abetment of crime and were also admitted to GHC100, 000 bails each with one surety, who should be a public servant.
The police on Tuesday (19 October) arrested Shatta Wale over an alleged gunshot attack.
“After we publicly declared him and one other person wanted, the suspect, Shatta Wale, turned himself in today Tuesday 19 October 2021, at 8.59 pm.
“He has been arrested to assist the police in investigations for his alleged involvement in the creation and circulation of information intended to cause fear and panic,” the statement from the police said.
“Preliminary investigations by the police reveal the widely reported gunshot attack on Shatta Wale yesterday Monday, 18 October 2021 was a hoax,” it added.
“No one will be spared if police investigations point to their possible criminal culpability in this matter. We want to caution any individual or group to desist from making false claims and engaging in acts, capable of disturbing the peace of the country because the law will come after you,” the statement said.