West Africa

REGSEC orders closure of KNUST, imposes curfew after violent protest

REGSEC orders closure of KNUST, imposes curfew after violent protestStudents of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), would have to vacate the school premises by midday on Tuesday, October 23, 2018.

This follows an order by the Ashanti Regional Security Council REGSEC to the University, to close down indefinitely in the wake of the unrest.

Citi News can also confirm that, the Council has imposed a 12-hour curfew on the campus from 6:00pm to 6:00am, which takes effect today, Monday.

The decision, which was announced by the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah, excludes foreign students who will be given full security protection.

“The decision that has been taken by REGSEC is that, today from 6:00pm to 6:00am, we have imposed a curfew on campus. So, no one is going out from 6:00pm. All students should be in their hall of residence.”

“After that, between 6:00am and 12:00noon tomorrow, every student must vacate the school premises including student leaders. The only people who will be permitted to stay are foreign students. We are going to provide security for such students. We will meet [relevant stakeholders] tomorrow to agree on a tentative date that the school will be reopened”, Mr. Mensah added.

According to Citi News’ Ashanti Regional Correspondent, Hafiz Tijani, the decision was taken in consultation with the management of the school.

A protest by  the students  against the school’s authorities over what they describe as an unfair treatment meted out to them turned violent on Monday.

Subsequently, over 20 students were arrested after they resorted to vandalizing public and private properties, and are still in the custody of the police.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO), has begun an assessment of the level of destruction caused by the students.

The students are protesting alleged brutalities meted out to their colleagues who were arrested at the University Hall last Friday and later granted bail.

Armed military and police personnel have taken over the KNUST campus after the protest.

“The protest which started as a peaceful one, turned chaotic when armed police officers fired gunshots to disperse the rampaging students. The students marched through campus amidst chants and held placards which called for the Vice Chancellor to be sacked. Some other placards spoke against what the students called brutalities being meted to their colleagues by internal security. Streetlights, signages, glass doors at the main administration block have all been destroyed. Dustbins were destroyed, leaving piles of refuse scattered all over” Citi News’ Hafiz Tijani reported.

Hafiz added that, “vehicles and motorbikes belonging to teaching and non-teaching staff were also not spared. Some offices and cars were ransacked, while properties at the school were also destroyed. Lectures were eventually boycotted as students who defied the SRC’s directive not to go for lectures later joined in the protest. Police looked helpless while the destruction was going on.”

Speaking to Citi News, the University Relations Officer, Kwame Yeboah Jnr, said the school will assess the extent of damage caused and take the appropriate measures.

Katanga Alumni Association blames authorities for protest

Meanwhile, the Katanga Alumni Association has condemned the violent conduct of students.

The Association however says school authorities are to blame for the situation.

“We wish this did not come this far, but if it gets to a point where the University police or security brutalize students, you get to a point where students want to defend themselves and if it gets there, there is little the Alumni can do and that is why we are trying to negotiate with the University,” Organizing secretary of the Association, Antony Avege said.


The Students’ Representative Council (SRC) of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) led the demonstration following the arrest of 10 students and one alumnus of the school on Friday.

The Executive Council of the SRC said the demonstration was necessary to end the management’s neglect of students in decision making.

The students were arrested for a holding vigil on campus on Friday without permission according to the school authorities.

One other student who was allegedly manhandled by the internal security is currently on admission at the KNUST hospital.

The KNUST management however justified the arrests, after the students were released on Saturday.

The University’s Public Relations Officer, Kwame Yeboah, told Citi News the affected students did not seek permission before undertaking the vigil, contrary to the rules of the university.

“The university thinks certain activities in the night should not be entertained. Some other activities are permitted because the students applied for permission. But there was no permission for last Friday’s activity. The students decided to go their own way. They decided not to obey any rules or regulations on campus, and the law doesn’t permit that. So when it happened, the police were brought in,” he said.


Related Articles

Back to top button