- – Lil Wayne is recovering in hospital after he suffered multiple seizures in a Chicago hotel room, according to reports.
- – The 34-year-old rapper, who has epilepsy, missed a performance in Las Vegas on Sunday night after enduring a number of fits.
Grammy-winning rap star Lil Wayne was taken to hospital on Sunday after suffering a seizure and being found unconscious in his Chicago hotel room, TMZ said on its web site.
Lil Wayne, 34, who has become one of the biggest names in rap music over a two-decade career, suffered a second seizure at the hospital, and his representative confirmed to the site that he had suffered multiple seizures.
The incident comes more than a year after the rap star, whose Grammy wins include the best rap album award in 2008 for “Tha Carter III,” was treated after suffering what his representatives called two minor seizures.
Four years ago, Lil Wayne, born Dwayne Michael Carter Jr, spent several days at a Los Angeles hospital, after which he told radio station Power 106 he was epileptic and prone to seizures.
Lil Wayne had been set to perform in Las Vegas. The New Orleans-born rapper began his professional career aged nine, when he became the youngest artist to be signed by Cash Money Records.
Meanwhile, Doctors at Northwestern Memorial advised against immediately releasing Wayne due to his latest run of poor health. As a result, his scheduled show Sunday night at Drais Beachclub in Las Vegas was canceled.
“Lil Wayne and the entire Young Money / Maverick team are valued partners and members of the Drai’s LIVE family,” the show’s promoters explained in a social media post. “Our priority is the health and well-being of our artists. Everyone at Drai’s wishes Lil Wayne a speedy recovery during this time.”